Interesting Article On Not Being A Dot-Bomb 2.0July 19, 2006
Article link: Suggestions for not being a dot bomb 2.0
I like this article for a number of reasons. Many of the Seattle and Silicon Valley based startups are in an echo chamber of geeks trying to please geeks. The term, “Web 2.0” has become a destination based on fascination and buzzwords rather than a set of tools that help people enjoy the web more and/or companies sell more products via the web.
Where do we stand?
1. Revenue Model: We have a revenue model based on pay-as-you-go services or a membership model with significant bundled savings.
2. Complete Business: We are a complete business offering a wide range of real estate services.
3. Real People: Real estate is a business for real people and not just bloggers.
4. Real Name: We have a real name for each of the three language focused and 10 or so country focused businesses that have running. Actually, I think that our name in portuguese is the best name that we have – repousos.com – “repousos” means “homes”.
6. Don’t Drink The Kool-Aid: I’ve gotten honest (and in many critical)feedback from friends, VCs, and people that read this blog. We’ve made MANY changes since conceiving the idea using this feedback.
7. Revolutions: It’s hard to imagine that the web isnt becoming more international…our spanish and portuguese blog communities at http://casacomprar.wordpress.com and http://repousos.wordpress.com are more active and growing at a faster rate than the english language blog. Most of the calls that we receive are in a non-english language.
8. Size of Market: The world’s population continues to grow. Real estate will remain a large market…especially when the international aspects are considered.
9. Existing Food Chain: We assist both the real estate service provider and the FSBO portions of the real estate food chain.
10. Acquisition Potential: I worked as a Group Manager in Windows Division at Microsoft for many years…I know the odds are against a major company acquisition.
11. Have Fun: It’ll be more fun after launch but in the interim, it is an interesting ride!